Lockout and Key Policy
Students are "locked out" when they have exhausted all possibilities for locating their room key, including waiting for roommates to return home if the key was left in the room. If a student is locked out, after 8 p.m., they should find a Resident Assistant or go to the duty desk of the hall for assistance. The duty desk staff member will contact an appropriate Residential Education staff member, who will meet the student at the front desk and unlock the door to the room. Students must have their UNC Asheville OneCard or other appropriate picture identification which can be checked to verify that they are the resident of the room in which they are trying to gain access.
- Beginning at 8 a.m. Monday through Friday, there is a Residential Education staff member available in the Governors Hall main office to assist with the lockout if the student cannot locate an RA to assist them
- On weekends before 8pm, and between the hours of 5pm and 8pm on weekdays, a student can locate one of the building RAs to assist them. If they cannot locate an RA, they can contact the Community Director on call who can then assist them (828.989.8752)
- Once in the room, the student must locate his or her key and show it to the Residential Education staff member. If the key cannot be found, the RA will submit paperwork for a lock change to the room. The student will be billed for the lock change which is $75
- The first lockout of each academic year is free of charge. The second lockout costs $5, the third is $10, and the charge will increase by $5 for each additional lockout.
Things to keep in mind
If a student reaches a fifth lock-out, they will be asked to schedule a non-disciplinary meeting with their Community Director to discuss their lock outs.
If you have temporarily misplaced your key or have left it at home, tell a staff member. We will work with you to establish a reasonable deadline date for the return of a borrowed key.
- The borrowed key cost is $25. When the key is returned on or before the specified date, your student account will be credited
- If that deadline passes without the loaned key being returned a lock change will be scheduled at your expense ($75)
- The borrowed key charge will remain on your account ($25)
Please note that during this time period we will not have a key available to assist you if you are locked out
If you have lost your keys there is a Lost & Found in the Highsmith University Union 828.251.6600 please call and ask if your keys have been turned in before requesting a lock change.
All residence halls are non-smoking facilities. Students must also comply with UNC Asheville's smoking policy.
Last edited by email@example.com on September 4, 2012