Welcome, future UNC Asheville residents! We are glad that you have chosen on-campus housing for the Fall 2016 – Spring 2017 academic year.
Before you begin the online application process, please review the following information.
- All first-time freshmen are required to live on campus.
- To apply for housing, you must be a fully admitted student and have made your $300 enrollment deposit ($150 tuition deposit and $150 housing deposit). The enrollment deposit can take up to 2 business days to process through the University system and appear on your student account. It must post to your student account before you can apply for housing.
Housing Application Process
Details and Deadlines
- Review your residence hall options to determine which hall and room type you prefer. You will be required to list three preferences. Year-round housing and Governors Village are not open to first time freshmen.
- If you are requesting a specific roommate, make sure you have their University email address. This is what you will use to search for them. As you are completing your application, you will be asked to create a pull-in PIN. This is what you will share with any student you wish to be roommates with and your intended roommate will share theirs with you.
Apply for Housing
- The Fall 2017 housing application will open on February 1st.
- The priority deadline to apply for housing for Fall 2017 is May 1st.
- You must first pay your enrollment fee before you can apply for housing. Once you have paid, it can take up to 2 business days for your payment to be processed and recorded on your student account.
- Log in to your OnePort account and select “Housing Portal” on the left side of the page. Select the application that is appropriate for you. For example: First time freshmen will select “Freshmen.”
- Follow the instructions on each page and use the navigation button at the bottom of each page to progress to the next. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address.
What Happens Next?
Students participate in self-selection of their rooms. This means students will view available spaces and assig themselves to a room. Students will receive an email with your designated selection time. Selection times are based upon date of application. This is your first and best opportunity to select your room. As available spaces become more and more limited, the self-selection process will be disabled and the Housing Office will manually assign you to a space. If manually assigned by our office, you will be notified by email of your assignment and roommate information.
Room Selection Process
Selecting a Room
- While viewing a room, it will lock for 10 minutes, so that another student cannot view the space while you are making your decision. Locking a room is not choosing the room. You must click on the room and then click finish at the bottom of the page in order to be assigned to this space. After clicking finish, you will get a pop up showing that you have selected that room. Once you have successfully completed the process, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address with your selection. If you do not receive a confirmation email, you have not successfully selected a room.
- Your selection time is your first and best opportunity to select and secure your room. While you are able to select your room after your selection time, spaces will become extremely limited and you may not be able to find your desired room; therefore, it is highly recommended that you select as during your designated selection time.
Selecting a Roommate
- Roommate Pull-In. When you apply for housing, you will be asked to create a PIN. This PIN is used in conjunction with your preferred roommate’s email address, so that you can locate them and “pull” them into your room when it’s time to select your room. You can pull in roommates/suite mates to any remaining vacancies in your room or suite during your selection time. You are allowed to pull in as many roommates/suite mates as there are vacancies in your room or suite. Keep in mind that spaces may have been filled by students who are also participating in the room selection process, so roommate pull-in is available on a first-come, first-served basis. You will only see spaces that will accommodate the number of students you have indicated on your housing application. For example: You wish to live with 3 other students in a Mills Hall suite. You will only see suites that have 4 current available spaces. If you do not see 4 spaces within the same suite, there are no available suites that will accommodate all 4 of you. If this occurs, please do not randomly assign the other students, unless this has been previously agreed upon. Those students can search for and assign themselves to their own room.Follow these simple steps to pull in your preferred roommate/suite mate.
- Verify Your Intended Roommates/Suite mates Have Applied for Housing. Your preferred roommates/suite mates must complete their housing application at the time you are able to select your room. Spaces cannot be held for future applicants.
Collect Your Roommate/Suite Mates Information
To successfully pull in a roommate/suite mate, you must know their UNC Asheville email address and their pull-in PIN. Students wishing to be roommates/ suite mates must share this information with each other. You can reset your pull-in PIN at any time by logging in to OnePort, selecting, “Housing Portal”, selecting “View Profile”, and “Update profile.” If you change your pull-in PIN, you will need to share the updated PIN with any student(s) with whom you want to share a room/suite and will be making the assignment for you.
- Pull in Your Roommate/Suite Mate. One student may make the room selection for their roommate/suite mates, provided they have the email addresses and PIN for those students. It is up to the students who will make the selection. One suggestion is for the student who has the first selection time to pull in the other students. Once the selection has been made, each student involved in the process will receive an email notifying them of their housing assignment.
Room and Board Fees for 2017-2018
- Meal Plan: $1,986 per semester
- Standard Double Room: $2,567 per semester
- Overlook Hall Double Room: $2,640 per semester
- Single Room - Governors Hall: $3,266 per semester
- Single Room - Overlook Hall: $3,363 per semester
Room Change Process
A Room Change Request Period will be made available 1-2 weeks after the start of the semester. Students will be notified via email of the room change request dates, and will make their request online through the housing portal.
- Room change requests are approved based upon availability of space.
- Room change requests are approved on a first come, first served basis.
- After the room change request period, any room change requests, must be approved by the Community Director (CD) of the building you currently reside in, and is subject to a $50 room change fee.
School of Pharmacy Housing
Welcome to the campus of UNC Asheville. We are proud to be affiliated with UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy and hope that you will consider becoming a part of the on-campus community.
We will have limited availability to house pharmacy students, and spaces are not guaranteed. You are still able to apply and we will keep your application on file, and in the event a space becomes available, we will contact you.
Located in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina, UNC Asheville is just minutes from downtown, where you will find locally-owned coffee houses, live music, 30-plus art galleries, unique boutiques and fine dining. For the outdoor enthusiasts, you will find a host of activities to keep you busy.