Welcome, future Bulldogs! We are glad that you have chosen on-campus housing for Fall 2024. Below, both first time, first year and transfer students can learn more about the application and room selection process.
Applying for Housing
Before you begin the online application process, please review the following information.
- All first year students are required to live on campus their first academic year, including dual-enrolled and early college participants.
- To apply for housing, you must have completed your Enrollment Form with the Admissions Office.
- First year students can live in any of our residence halls, with the exception of the Woods or the Village.
Housing Application Process
To apply, please log into One Port, select “Campus Housing” and “Housing Portal.”
Please note: A new version of Safari, released in September 2020, is not compatible with our housing software. Please use Google Chrome to complete your housing application and subsequent room selection.
Details and Deadlines
- The priority deadline to submit your housing application is May 5.
- Room selection will begin June 11. The deadline to select a room is July 31. First time, first year students who do not self-select will be manually assigned to a space by the Housing Office beginning August 1.
- In order to participate in room selection, all students must have a completed housing application on file. Applications completed by the deadline of May 31, will receive an email from our office with your room selection time, prior to June 11 for Room Selection.
- Applications received after May 31 will be sent separate communication about Room Selection.
- Applications received after July 31 will be manually assigned to a space by our office beginning August 1.
Apply for Housing
- Log in to your OnePort account and select “On Campus” and then “Housing Portal” on the left side of the page. Select “Apply for Campus Housing” and choose the “New Student” button.
- Follow the instructions on each page and use the navigation button at the bottom of each page to progress to the next. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address. You can update your housing application until room selection begins in summer. After that, no further updates can be made to your application.
Creating a Roommate Group
If you have another UNC Asheville student you wish to live with, you can create a Roommate Group. The benefit of a roommate group is that one person in the group can make the room selection for everyone who has accepted the invitation to join the group during room selection. It is recommended that the person with the earliest selection time be the one to select for the group. Important information regarding Roommate Groups:
- To invite someone to your group, the student must have already applied for housing.
- You can only belong to one Roommate Group at a time.
- When you are invited to join a group, you will get an email and must accept or decline the invitation. If you do not accept, you are not part of the group.
- A Roommate Group does not guarantee you housing or a specific residence hall or room.
- A Roommate Group does not hold a space for you with others in your Roommate Group. If a room is not selected for you by a member of the group, during their room selection time, any vacancy in the room/suite can be selected by another student. You are responsible to make sure you have a room assignment.
- During room selection, if you are part of a Roommate Group, you will only be able to see suites with enough room to accommodate your entire group.
- If one person in the Roommate Group selects housing on their own, the rest of the group members will not be able to select housing and must leave the group in order to participate in room selection and secure housing.
My College Roomie (MCR)
We have partnered with My College Roomie (MCR), a roommate finder/matching social media platform, to help you find a roommate, or just a way to connect with other incoming students and make new friends!
Please be on the lookout for an email to your UNCA email address, inviting you to join MCR. Once you join, you can begin searching for and finding new roommates or friends. Once you find a roommate and/or suitemates, you can then create a roommate group in your housing portal.
Please note that finding a roommate on MCR OR creating a roommate group in the housing portal, does not guarantee placement with a specific person or group. You will still need to participate in room selection to secure on-campus housing.
You are not required to join MCR – this is simply another opportunity for you to search for a potential roommate. If you have already created a roommate group in the housing portal, you will not need to also to upload a profile in MCR, but it can also be a great way to find new friends.
Honors Housing is open to new, first year, first time students. To live in Honors Housing, you must be approved for Honors College, and indicate that you want to live in Honors Housing, which is housed on the 3rd floor of West Ridge Hall.
Selecting a Room, Choosing a Roommate/Suitemate, and Meal Plans
Visit our Room & Meal Plan Selection page for details on the room selection process.
What Happens Next?
- All students with a completed application by the May 31 deadline will receive an email with your designated selection time.
- Your selection time is your first and best opportunity to assign yourself to a room.
- Selection availability is on a first come, first serve and space available basis.
Transfer Student Housing
- Transfer students are encouraged to apply early for the best selection time!
- Transfer students will follow the same timeline and deadlines as our new, incoming first time students, and select their room in summer.
- Transfer students are able to live in any residence hall on campus.
Residential Living Community (RLC)
We currently have 1 RLC for the 2024-2025 academic year. The TLC is only open to new transfer students, who will live together in Gardner Hall. Gardner Hall is a small residence hall, which only houses 20 students. For more information on the TLC, please visit our website. Once you have completed your general housing application, you can apply for the TLC in the “Forms and Agreements” section of the Housing portal.