Fall 2018 Housing Applications will be available on February 1, 2018!
Before you begin the online application process, please review the following information.
- All first-time freshmen are required to live on campus.
- To apply for housing, you must be a fully admitted student and have made your $300 enrollment deposit ($150 tuition deposit and $150 housing deposit). The enrollment deposit can take up to 2 business days to process through the University system and appear on your student account. It must post to your student account before you can apply for housing.
Housing Application Process
Details and Deadlines
- The priority deadline to submit your housing application is May 1st; however, applications will continue to be accepted after the deadline. By applying early, you will be able to select your room earlier.
- Self-selection will begin in July. Students who do not participate in self-selection will be assigned housing by the Housing Office.
- Review your residence hall options to determine which hall and room type you prefer. You will be required to list three preferences. Year-round housing, Governors Village, and the new apartments are not open to first-time freshmen.
- You can also put your meal plan preference on your application. Our office will use this preference if you decide to not participate in self-seleciton.
- If you are requesting a specific roommate, make sure you have their University email address. This is what you will use to search for them. As you are completing your application, you will be asked to create a roommate group. You are not required to create a roommate group or be part of one. Students must have applied for housing in order for you to invite them to your roommate group.
Apply for Housing
- Log in to your OnePort account and select “Housing Portal” on the left side of the page. Select the application that is appropriate for you. For example: First time freshmen will select “New Freshmen.”
- Follow the instructions on each page and use the navigation button at the bottom of each page to progress through the application. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address.
What Happens Next?
- All students with a completed application by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, July 4th will receive an email with your designated selection time.
- Your selection time is your first and best opportunity to assign yourself to a room.
- Students who do not self-select a room by 11:59 on Tuesday, July 31st, will be assigned by the Housing Office.
Room Selection Process
Selecting a Room and Choosing a Roommate
- Room Selection for Fall 2018 will begin on Monday, July 9th. Students will receive an email about selection times before selection begins.
- Your designated selection time is your first and best opportunity to obtain the space you are hoping for.
- You will also choose your required meal plan after you have selected your room.
- Once you have selected a room, you will receive an email with your housing assignment and the name of your roommate, if one has already selected the room. You can view your assignment and roommate/suite mate information at any time by logging into OnePort, selecting “Housing Portal," “Profile Information," and “View My Roommate(s).”
- Students who submit a housing application and do not participate in selection of a room will be manually assigned to a space after July 31st by the Housing Office. You will be notified of your assignment via email to your UNC Asheville email address. Once an assignment has been made, all charges associated with breach of contract will be enforced. Learn more about breach of contract.
Selecting a Roommate/Suite Mate
The Housing Portal has a feature that mimics the "friend request" feature of social media for Roommate Groups. When you create a Roommate Group on your application or in your Housing Portal profile, you are able to search for your friends and send them group invitations. If they accept, then they show in the Roommate Group as a member. If they reject, they do not show up in the Roommate Group.
You will be able to select the room assignments for yourself and your entire Roommate Group, so long as the invitation has been accepted by your friends. You are allowed to have as many roommates/suite mates as there are vacancies in your room or suite. Keep in mind that spaces may have been filled by students who are also participating in the room selection process, so roommate selection is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
You will only see spaces that will accommodate the number of students you have indicated on your housing application. For example: You wish to live with 3 other students in a Mills Hall suite. You will only see suites that have 4 current available spaces. If you do not see 4 spaces within the same suite, there are no available suites that will accommodate all 4 of you. If this occurs, please do not randomly assign the other students, unless this has been previously agreed upon. Those students can search for and assign themselves to their own room. Follow these simple steps to pull in your preferred roommate/suite mate.
1. Verify Your Roommates/Suite Mates Have Applied
Your preferred roommates/suite mates must complete their housing application by the time you are able to select your room. Spaces cannot be held for future applicants.
2. Collect Your Roommate/Suite Mates Information
To successfully select a roommate/suite mate, you can search for them by either their full name or their UNC Asheville email address. They will receive an email notification that they have been invited to your Roommate Group, which they can choose to accept or decline. If they accept, then you can choose the assignments for everyone in the group that is showing as a Member. Students can only belong to one roommate group at a time.
3. Pull in Your Roommate/Suite Mate
One student may make the room selection for their roommate/suite mates, provided everyone in the group has accepted the invitation. Only the leader of the Roommate Group can select for the group. Once the selection has been made, each student involved in the process will receive an email notifying them of their housing assignment.
*If you want to leave your Roommate Group and start a new one, or you would like to be the one to choose the room assignments, you can simply click the red "Leave" button on your housing application and then create a new Roommate Group.
Room Change Requests
- You may change your room as many times as you like until 11:59pm on July 31st. After the deadline, room changes will be frozen until the official Room Change Request Period after the start of the semester. More information about the Room Change Request Period will be emailed to you a few days after classes begin. The fall Room Change Request Period dates have not yet been determined.
- You will also be able to change your meal plan option until a few days into the semester. You will receive an email in the summer with the official deadline for this.
- You will have the opportunity to request a room change during the official Room Change Period after the start of the semester. If you have an immediate need to change rooms, please reach out to the Community Director of your residence hall.