Fall 2019 Housing Applications available now!
Before you begin the online application process, please review the following information.
- All first-time freshmen are required to live on campus, including students who participated in an Early College program.
- First time freshmen can select into any residence hall with space availability, with the exception of The Woods and Governors Village. These residence halls are designated for upperclassmen only. Founders and Mills Halls are predominantly freshmen residence halls; The Ridges are a mixture of both new freshmen and upperclassmen, and Governors and Ponder Halls are predominantly upperclassmen. *Students accepted to live in a Living Learning Community, will live in the designated LLC hall.
- To apply for housing, you must be a fully admitted student and have made your $300 enrollment deposit ($150 tuition deposit and $150 housing deposit). The enrollment deposit can take up to 2 business days to process through the University system and appear on your student account. It must post to your student account before you can apply for housing.
Transfer Student Housing
Transfer Student Housing
- Transfer housing is limited. We encourage you to apply early for the best selection time!
- Transfer students interested in a Living Learning Community (LLC) experience should check out the TLC, a LLC designed exclusively for new transfer students. Students in the TLC will live in Gardner Hall, one of our Governors Village residence halls. Gardner Hall is a small residence hall, housing only 20 students in all single rooms. What a great way for a new student to meet other new students and foster a sense of community.
- Transfer students will follow the same timeline and deadlines as our new, incoming first time students, and select their room in July.
Housing Application Process
Details and Deadlines
- The priority deadline to submit your housing application is May 1st; however, applications will continue to be accepted after the deadline. By applying early, you will be able to select your room earlier.
- Self-selection will begin in July. New, first time freshmen who do not participate in self-selection will be assigned housing by the Housing Office.
- Year-round housing, Governors Village, and The Woods are not open to first-time freshmen.
- As you are completing your application, you will be asked to create a roommate group. You are not required to create a roommate group or be part of one to participate in room selection.
- If you are requesting a specific roommate, you can search for them by name, university email address, or student ID number. Students must have applied for housing in order for you to invite them to your roommate group.
Apply for Housing
- Log in to your OnePort account and select “Housing Portal” on the left side of the page. Select the application that is appropriate for you. For example: First time freshmen and new transfer students will select “New Students.”
- Follow the instructions on each page and use the navigation button at the bottom of each page to progress through the application. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address.
What Happens Next?
- All students with a completed application by 11:59 pm on Friday, June 28th, will receive an email with your designated selection time on July 1st.
- Room selection will begin in early July and conclude on July 31st.
- New, first time freshemen who do not self-select a room by 11:59 on Wednesday, July 31st, will be assigned by the Housing Office.
Room Selection Process
Selecting a Room and Choosing a Roommate
All students with a completed application by 11:59 pm on Friday, June 28th, will receive an email with your designated selection time on July 1st.
Room selection will begin on Tuesday, July 2nd and will end at 11:59 pm on Wednesday, July 31st. Your selection time is your first and best opportunity to assign yourself to a room, so it is advisable to select early. As room selection continues, spaces will become more and more limited.
New, first time freshmen who do not self-select a room by 11:59 on Wednesday, July 31st, will be assigned to an available space by the Housing Office.
- You will also choose your required meal plan after you have selected your room.
- Once you have selected a room, you will receive an email with your housing assignment and the name of your roommate, if one has already selected the room. You can view your assignment and roommate/suite mate information at any time by logging into OnePort, selecting “Housing Portal," “Profile Information," and “View My Roommate(s).”
- Students who submit a housing application and do not participate in selection of a room will be manually assigned to an available space after July 31st by the Housing Office. You will be notified of your assignment via email to your UNC Asheville email address. Once an assignment has been made, all charges associated with breach of contract will be enforced. Learn more about breach of contract.
Selecting a Roommate/Suite Mate
The Housing Portal has a feature that mimics the "friend request" feature of social media for Roommate Groups. When you create a Roommate Group on your application or in your Housing Portal profile, you are able to search for your friends and send them group invitations. If they accept, they then show in the Roommate Group as a member. If they do not accept your invitation, they do not show up in the Roommate Group. You will receive an email with either their acceptance or denial of your invitation, so you are always aware of where you are in the process. Anyone in the roommate group can make the assignments for everyone in the group. The student with the first selection time is the recommended person to make the selection. Once the assignment has been made, only the individual can change their own room assignment. You will not be able to change rooms for anyone else in your roommate group.
You will be able to make the room assignments for yourself and your entire Roommate Group, so long as the invitation has been accepted by your friends. You are allowed to have as many roommates/suite mates as there are vacancies in your room or suite. Keep in mind that spaces may have been filled by other students who are also participating in the room selection process, so roommate selection is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
You will only see spaces that will accommodate the number of students you have indicated on your housing application. For example: You wish to live with 3 other students in a Mills Hall suite. You will only see suites that have 4 current available spaces. If you do not see 4 spaces within the same suite, there are no available suites that will accommodate all 4 of you. If this occurs, please do not randomly assign the other students, unless this has been previously agreed upon. Those students can search for and assign themselves to their own room. Follow these simple steps to pull in your preferred roommate/suite mate.
1. Verify Your Roommates/Suite Mates Have Applied
Your preferred roommates/suite mates must complete their housing application by the time you are able to select your room. Spaces cannot be held for future applicants.
2. Collect Your Roommate/Suite Mates Information
To successfully select a roommate/suite mate, you can search for them by either their full name, student ID number, or their UNC Asheville email address. They will receive an email notification that they have been invited to your Roommate Group, which they can choose to accept or decline. If they accept, then you can choose the assignments for everyone in the group that is showing as a Member. Students can only belong to one roommate group at a time. It is recommended that the student who has the first selection time make the room assignments for everyone in the group.
3. Pull in Your Roommate/Suite Mate
One student may make the room selection for their roommate/suite mates, provided everyone in the group has accepted the invitation. Anyone in the Roommate Group can select for the group. Once the selection has been made, each student involved in the process will receive an email notifying them of their housing assignment.
*If you want to leave your Roommate Group and start a new one, you can simply click the red "Leave" button on your housing application. Should you be assigned housing by someone in your roommate group, and then decide you no longer wish to live with them, you may change your room until July 31st. Please notify your group of your decision.
Students who are part of a current residential student's roommate group, and have been assigned housing by someone in the group prior to freshmen selection in July, will not be able to have their roommate group change their room assignment, or the ability to change their own assignment, until their selection time in July. If you no longer wish to be part of the roommate group and have been assigned to housing prior to July, you will have the opportunity to change your room during room selection in July. Please note that as room selection gets underway, availibility will become limited, as students are selecting rooms.
Room Change Requests
- You may change your room as many times as you like until 11:59pm on July 31st. After the deadline, room changes will be frozen until the official Room Change Request Period after the start of the semester. The fall Room Change Request Period dates have not yet been determined. More information about the Room Change Request Period will be emailed to you a few days after classes begin.
- You will also be able to change your meal plan option until the 3rd day of the semester. You will receive an email in the summer with the official deadline for this.