Is there a live on requirement?
First time freshmen are required to live on campus their first academic year, or if coming in as a new student for spring semester, the entire spring semester. The live-on requirement also applies students who were early/middle college attendees.
How do I request maintenance for my room?
Use the maintenance request form.
What is the resident student mailing address?
The Student Mail Center is located in Highsmith Student Union between the bookstore and the food court. All residential student mail and packages will be received and picked up at this location. Packages and letters can be picked up Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.
New residentials students must visit the Student Mail Center to request a mailbox and key. Your mailbox will remain the same while you are a residential student, regardless of if you change residence halls or rooms.
Note: Students who would like to ship packages prior to arrival can send them to 2500 University Heights and they will be held until the resident arrives and requests a mailbox.
Individual mailing addresses follow this pattern:
UNCA Box # xxxx
2500 University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804
If have questions about mail services, please feel free to call the Student Mail Center at 828.258.7679, or e-mail email@example.com.
What will be in my room?
All UNC Asheville's Residence Hall rooms come equipped with:
- Single bed
- Study desk with chair
- Window blinds
- Shower curtain
- Closet space
- MicroFridge® - a combination microwave, refrigerator and freezer
- Philo TV - a streaming service offered exclusively to residential students for watching live TV on devices across campus
- Direct and wireless internet service (computer labs are also available)
- Trash and recycling cans
What should I bring?
- Toiletries (including toilet paper)
- Pillow, blanket, and bed linens (XL twin sheets)
- Bath towel, washcloth, and shower caddy
- Clothes hangers, laundry hamper, and laundry detergent
- Rain gear and winter clothing
- Microwave-safe dishes
- Poster putty or tape
- Non-abrasive cleaning supplies
- First Aid supplies
- Desk Lamp & Extra Light Bulbs
- Flashlight and batteries
- Surge protector for all electronic equipment
- Ethernet Cord - optional (all buildings are equipped with wireless connection)
- TV, computer, or lap top
What not to bring for my room?
- Candles, incense, hookah, or any flame-associated products
- Pets (fish in 10-gallon or smaller tanks are allowed)
- String lights
- Tube lights
- Combustible or explosive materials, including weapons, ammunition, fireworks, smoke bombs, gasoline, and oil
- Toasters or toaster ovens
- Open-coil burners
- Hot plates
- Deep-fat fryers
- Hot-oil popcorn poppers
- Electric skillets, woks, griddles, or grills
- Halogen lamps
- Hover boards
Any student using fireworks or smoke bombs or found to be in possession of a weapon may be removed from the residence halls immediately and will be subject to the UNC Asheville Citizenship Education System.
For a complete list of approved or prohibited items, please see the Resident Student Handbook.
UNC Asheville's room and board fees for 2019-2020
Double Room Rate
Standard Double (Mills, Founders, Ridges, and Governors)
- $2,723 per semester
- $2,800 per semester
The Woods - academic year (not open to new, first time freshmen)
- $3,685 per semester
Single Room Rate
Governors Hall and Governors Village (Governors Village is not open to new, first time freshmen)
- $3,465 per semester
- $3,568 per semester
The Woods - academic year (not open to new, first time freshmen)
- $4,149 per semester
The Woods - Year Round (not open to new, first time freshmen):
- The Woods year-round single: $5,300 per semester
- The Woods year-round double: $4,708 per semester
Rates are per semester, with the exception of block plans for Woods residents, which roll over from fall to spring semester.
• Meal Plan: $2,107 per semester (required for all residential students, except those living in The Woods)
Residential Meal Plan Options
- 21 Meals + $75.00 Enjoy 21 meals per week and $75 in Declining Balance. Of the 21 meals, 5 can be used as a Meal Equivalency at a retail location.
- 14 Meals + $200.00 Enjoy 14 meals per week and $200 in Declining Balance. Of the 14 meals, 3 can be used as a Meal Equivalency at a retail location.
- 10 Meals + $400.00 Enjoy 10 meals per week and $400 in Declining Balance. Of the 10 meals, 3 can be used as a Meal Equivalency at a retail location.
- 7 Meals + $600.00 Enjoy 7 meals per week and $600 in Declining Balance. Of the 7 meals, 3 can be used as a Meal Equivalency at a retail location.
- 200 Meals + $300.00 Enjoy 200 meals per semester and $300 in Declining Balance. Of the 200 meals, 20 can be used as a Meal Equivalency at a retail location. These 200 meals can be used at anytime during the semester.
For more information about meal plans, please visit Dining Services
• Special Block Plans for The Woods:
o Block 150: $1,199.47
o Block 100: $818.55
o Block 75: $618.46
o Block 40: $333.84
o Block 20: $187.25
Room fee refunds are calculated based on a nightly rate, and we follow the Tuition and Fees Refund Schedule.
How do I do my laundry?
Residence Hall Laundry
Laundry services are provided through a partnership with Caldwell & Gregory. Laundry facilities are located on the first floor of each residence hall, except Ponder Hall which has laundry rooms on the 2nd & 4th floors. Each laundry room has instruction signs on the proper use of the equipment and how to notify Caldwell & Gregory if a machine malfunctions.
For all residential students, the cost of laundry is included in your room fees. There are no additional charges for washing or drying.
- Students should have a full load of clothes each time they use the machines for best results.
- Because the washers are high-efficiency front loading, students should only use H-E detergent.
Want to know the status of washers and dryers in your residence hall? Check out which machines are available through the Wash Alert monitoring system. You can set it up to email or text you when machine is available or when your washing or drying is complete. (Wash Alert is not yet available in the Governor’s Village laundry rooms.)
Here is how it works:
Sign on by using the convenient QR code posted in each laundry room to monitor via your phone. Or you can connect from your PC or laptop by clicking on the laundry room location from the list below.
You will be able to see the availability of machines in your laundry room in real time.
REQUEST A TEXT
If several machines are in use, you can request a text or an email when a machine becomes available.
Start your machine, then choose your machine on the Wash Alert site and enter your text or email information to be notified when the cycle is complete.
Information for Parents
The mission of the Division of Student Affairs is to develop and implement programs and services that foster an inclusive, nurturing, and challenging community in which all students have the opportunity to engage in integrated and transformative learning which prepares them to be productive citizens of a global society and develop a lifelong commitment to learning and personal wellness. Knowing that parents and family members play a vital role in their student’s success, we value you as true partners in this endeavor. Please visit the UNC Asheville Family Page and don't forget about Family Weekend. If you can concerns about your student, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
How do I visit campus?
Being here is the best way to get a feel for UNC Asheville. So we encourage you to visit our campus as many times as you can. Come for an informal group tour, a campus-wide event or a personal chat with an Admissions staff member or faculty. The more you see us in action, the easier your decision will be. Let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your campus visit. Get more details and register for campus tours at UNC Asheville.
What if I can't find the answer to my question on this page?
If you have additional questions that were not answered here, please feel free to call us at 828.251.6700, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.