Housing Policies & Forms

To complete the UNC Asheville Housing Application, please log into OnePort and look for "Housing Portal" in the left column under Quick Links.

2018-2019 Housing Contract

UNC Asheville 2018-2019 Academic Year Residence Hall Contract Terms and Conditions

All first-year freshmen are required to live in the University Residence Halls for the entire academic year.

Exceptions: 1) married students; 2) students with dependent children living with them; 3) freshmen 22 years of age or older; 4) veterans. Freshmen who wish to request an exception must contact the Office of the Dean of Students and request a Housing Waiver Request form. Waivers are subject to the Dean of Students approval. Only UNC Asheville students enrolled and attending classes are eligible to live in University Residence Halls. This contract will be terminated by the University if the student stops attending classes or terminates enrollment. Students must be 16 years of age at the time of occupancy. Students are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours to reside in the residence halls (Students who have extenuating circumstances can request a waiver from the 12 hour requirement from the Dean of Students. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is subject to approval).

1. Period of contract: This contract is for the full academic year, consisting of both fall and spring semesters, or for the remainder of the year if initiated during the academic year. Exceptions exist for graduating seniors and study abroad participants with appropriate documentation. Exceptions exist for graduating seniors and study abroad participants with appropriate documentation.

2. For new residential students, a $150 non-refundable advance payment is required. The $150 advance payment is applied to your residence hall room charge.  If an incoming student’s plan to enroll at UNC Asheville changes, we request that the student notify the Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations on or before May 15 (Fall semester) or December 15 (Spring semester) or as soon as possible.

3.  Assignments for on campus housing are made on a space-available basis.

4. Period of occupancy: Unless otherwise agreed to in writing, occupancy will begin at 9:00 AM the day classes begin and end after the student's last examination at the end of each semester. Room assignments may be cancelled if not claimed by 9:00 AM of the first day of classes. University Residence Halls will be closed for Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break and Spring Break. Students must vacate the residence halls during a period when the halls are closed, but may leave personal belongings in their room during that time. Students who are approved for a room change between end of Fall Semester and the start of Spring will need to remove their belongings during the intersession.

5. This contract can be cancelled without penalty for the following reasons:

  • Graduation
  • A certified medical problem that may affect the student living in University Residence Halls. (Documentation from a physician or psychologist/psychiatrist is needed and must be verified by the University Student Health and Counseling Center or Office of Academic Accessibility.) A cancellation for this reason requires approval from the Dean of Students.
  • Academic suspension or dismissal from the University.
  • The student participates in a UNC Asheville educational program that requires living off campus; in this instance they must notify Housing and Student Life Operations/Residential Education at the earliest possible date. Documentation must be provided by the Advisor of the UNC Asheville program
  • The student officially withdraws from the University. Official withdrawal must be initiated through the University Registrar.
  • If a student gets married during the academic year. (A copy of the marriage certificate is required.)

Any student cancelling their contract for reasons other than those listed above will be assessed a $750 breach of contract fee and will be held to the entire room charge for the remainder of the academic year.

6. The Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to cancel the contract and remove the student from University Housing if such student poses a threat to the interest, order, health, discipline, or to the general well-being of themselves or other members of the residential community or the University.

7.  All residence hall students and their guests must abide by the rules and regulations established by the University. Additionally, students must adhere to state and federal laws, as well as provisions stated in the Residence Hall Contract, Resident Handbook, Student Handbook, and the University Catalog.

8. This contract cannot be transferred or assigned to another person. Students may not sublet their rooms to another person.

9.  Students who live in a residence hall are required to purchase a meal plan.  Meal plan charges are billed simultaneously with room charges.  Exceptions to this policy exist only for those students living in the University Apartments, who can have a meal plan but are not required.

10. The University does not assume any legal obligation to pay for the loss of or damage to the student’s property if it occurs in its buildings or on its grounds prior to, during, or subsequent to the period of the contract.

11. The student is responsible for the accommodations assigned and shall reimburse the University for all damages done within or to said accommodations. Residents of a floor or wing are jointly and severally responsible for damages to public areas on the floor or wing (floor, walls, ceilings, tiles, furniture, etc.) if the person causing the damage cannot be identified. Residents are also responsible for damage done by their guests.

12. Most rooms are designed for double occupancy. Single occupants of double rooms may be assigned to another room or receive an assigned roommate through the room consolidation process.  Housing and Student Life Operations reserves the right to consolidate students whenever it is in the best interest of the residential community to do so. For example, when one or two students are occupying an entire suite, and other students remain in transitional housing, consolidation may occur to provide permanent housing to those in transitional spaces. Room consolidation decisions are made at the discretion of the Director of Housing and Student Life Operations. Failure to follow proper room consolidation guidelines may result in the student being billed the private room rate, relocation, removal from the residence halls and/or formal disciplinary action through the Citizenship Education Process.

13. When necessary, transitional housing spaces may be created by using common areas, increasing room occupancy, as well as assigning roommates to residents who requested private rooms. If this occurs, every effort will be made to ensure the security and comfort of the residents. As space becomes available, residents in transitional housing will be reassigned to permanent housing.

14. The University reserves the right of entry into any portion of a University Residence Hall, including but not limited to, a student’s room during an emergency, for health or safety purposes, and for other purposes in accordance with University policy.

15. A student withdrawing from the University shall be expected to follow the official check-out procedures at the residence halls, notify the Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations in person or in writing, and vacate the University Residence Halls within 24 hours of withdrawal.

16. A student moving from one room to another or leaving at the end of the year must follow check-out procedures and return all keys. Failure to do so is considered an improper check-out and the student will be assessed additional administrative fees of $250.

17. This contract is for Housing space in the residence halls, not a specific room.  Although every effort is made to honor specific room, roommate, and residence hall requests, space limitations and high demand for specific halls may prevent honoring all requests.  The Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations reserves the right to make room assignment changes during the year for the good of the resident, the residence community or other reasonable considerations. Such changes include those mentioned above under room consolidation procedures.

18. Students who have received special permission from the Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations to check in early at the beginning of either the fall or spring semester will be assessed an early arrival fee of $50 per night. The same fee will apply should permission be granted for housing during certain break periods. Students who are permitted to remain during a certain break may be required to relocate to another space for all/part of the break.  University Residence Halls are closed during all breaks except for fall break.  Students are required to leave their rooms by no later than the designated times and dates assigned prior to each academic year.

19. Students assigned to special interest floors/buildings must abide by the special floor/building guidelines.

20. If any provisions of this contract shall be declared illegal or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.

21. The Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations may amend this contract at any time. If the contract is amended, the Office of Residential Education and Housing and Student Life Operations will notify all concerned parties using student’s University email account.

Residence Hall Lock Out Policy

Students are "locked out" when they have exhausted all possibilities for locating their room key, including waiting for roommates to return home if the key was left in the room. If a student is locked out, after 8pm, they should find a Resident Assistant or go to the duty desk of the hall for assistance. The duty desk staff member will contact an appropriate Residential Education staff member, who will meet the student at the front desk and unlock the door to the room. Students must have their UNC Asheville OneCard or other appropriate picture identification which can be checked to verify that they are the resident of the room in which they are trying to gain access.

  • Beginning at 8am Monday through Friday, there is a Residential Education staff member available in the Governors Hall main office to assist with the lockout if the student cannot locate an RA to assist them
  • On weekends before 8pm, and between the hours of 5pm and 8pm on weekdays, a student can locate one of the building RAs to assist them. If they cannot locate an RA, they can contact the Community Director on call who can then assist them (828.989.8752)
  • Once in the room, the student must locate his or her key and show it to the Residential Education staff member. If the key cannot be found, the RA will submit paperwork for a lock change to the room. The student will be billed for the lock change which is $75
  • The first lockout of each academic year is free of charge. The second lockout costs $5.00, the third is $10.00, and the charge will increase by $5.00 for each additional lockout.

Things to keep in mind

  • If a student reaches a fifth lock-out, they will be asked to schedule a non-disciplinary meeting with their Community Director to discuss their lock outs.
  • If you have temporarily misplaced your key or have left it at home, tell a staff member. We will work with you to establish a reasonable deadline date for the return of a borrowed key.
  • The borrowed key cost is $25. When the key is returned on or before the specified date, your student account will be credited.
    If that deadline passes without the loaned key being returned a lock change will be scheduled at your expense ($75).
    The borrowed key charge will remain on your account ($25).

Please note that during this time period we will not have a key available to assist you if you are locked out.

If you have lost your keys, there is a Lost & Found in the Highsmith University Union. Please call 828.251.6600 and ask if your keys have been turned in before requesting a lock change.

Resident Student Card Access

  • Residential students obtain access to the residence halls through their OneCard, which works with our card access system.
  • Residents have 24 hour access to the primary (front) door of your residence hall.
  • All residents have access from 7am until 8pm to secondary doors of all residence halls (this includes back door at Mills Hall, back door at Governors Hall on soccer field side, West Ridge parking garage door, and Founders Hall first floor door).
  • All residents have access to all other residence halls primary (front) doors from 7am until 11 pm.
  • Governors Village residents will have 24 hour access to the primary (front) door of Governors Hall, for computer lab usage.
  • NO residents will have access to Governors Village accessible suite doors. This door enters directly into the suite and cannot be accessed at any time.

If you are attempting to enter the residence halls during the allowed times and cannot gain access, please come to the Housing Office from 8am-5pm. After hours, you may receive a temporary access card from University Police, which must be returned the following business day by noon. Failure to return the card will result in a $50 charge being placed on your student account. The temporary access card can only be used for access to your residence hall.

"Main doors" is in reference to the following six doors: West Ridge front entrance on 2nd floor, South Ridge front entrance on 2nd floor, Mills Hall front entrance on 2nd floor, Founders Hall front entrance on 2nd floor, Governors Hall 1st floor entrance on west side of building, Governors Hall 2nd floor entrance from University Heights on east side of building.

"Secondary doors" is in reference to the following five doors: Founders Hall front entrance on 1st floor, Mills Hall back entrance from volleyball court area, Governors Hall 2nd floor entrance at each end of the breezeway, West Ridge 2nd floor entrance near parking deck.


Smoking Policy

All residence halls are non-smoking facilities.  Students must also comply with UNC Asheville's smoking policy.