Below, you will find the housing contracts for both academic and year-round for the upcoming 2022-2023 year. Please read the contract carefully.
2022-2023 Housing Contracts
Residence Hall Lock Out Policy
Students are “locked out” when they have exhausted all possibilities for locating their room key, including waiting for roommates to return home if the key was left in the room. If a student is locked out, after 8pm, they should find a Resident Assistant, go to the Service Desk or call the RA On Call for assistance. A Resident Assistant will meet the student at their room to unlock the door to the room. Students must have their UNC Asheville OneCard or other appropriate picture identification which can be checked to verify that they are the resident of the room in which they are trying to gain access.
- Beginning at 8 a.m. Monday through Friday, there is a Housing & Residence Life staff member available in the Governors Hall main office to assist with the lockout if the student cannot locate an RA to assist them.
- On weekends before 8 p.m., and between the hours of 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on weekdays, a student can locate one of the building RAs to assist them. If they cannot locate an RA, they can contact the RA On Call for their residence hall.
- Once in the room, the student must locate his or her key and show it to the Housing & Residence Life staff member. If the key cannot be found, the RA will submit paperwork for a lock change to the room. The student will be billed for the lock change which is $75.
- The first lockout of each academic year is free of charge. The second lockout costs $5.00, the third is $10.00, and the charge will increase by $5.00 for each additional lockout.
Things to keep in mind
- If a student reaches a fifth lock-out, they will be asked to schedule a non-disciplinary meeting with their Area Director or Graduate Community Director to discuss their lock outs.
- If you have temporarily misplaced your key or have left it at home, tell a staff member. We will work with you to establish a reasonable deadline date for the return of a borrowed key.
- The borrowed key cost is $25. When the key is returned on or before the specified date, your student account will be credited.
If that deadline passes without the loaned key being returned a lock change will be scheduled at your expense ($75).
The borrowed key charge will remain on your account ($25).
Please note that during this time period we will not have a key available to assist you if you are locked out.
If you have lost your keys, there is a Lost & Found in the Highsmith University Union. Please call 828.251.6600 and ask if your keys have been turned in before requesting a lock change.
Resident Student Card Access
- Residential students obtain access to the residence halls through their OneCard, which works with our card access system.
- Residents have 24-hour access to the primary (front) door of your residence hall.
- All residents have access from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. to secondary doors of all residence halls (this includes back door at Mills Hall, back door at Governors Hall on soccer field side, West Ridge parking garage door, and Founders Hall first floor door).
- All residents have access to all other residence halls primary (front) doors from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Governors Village residents will have 24 hour access to the primary (front) door of Governors Hall, for computer lab usage.
- NO residents will have access to Governors Village accessible suite doors. This door enters directly into the suite and cannot be accessed at any time.
If you are attempting to enter the residence halls during the allowed times and cannot gain access, please come to the Housing Office from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. After hours, you may receive a temporary access card from University Police, which must be returned the following business day by noon. Failure to return the card will result in a $50 charge being placed on your student account. The temporary access card can only be used for access to your residence hall.
“Main doors” is in reference to the following six doors: West Ridge front entrance on 2nd floor, South Ridge front entrance on 2nd floor, Mills Hall front entrance on 2nd floor, Founders Hall front entrance on 2nd floor, Governors Hall 1st floor entrance on west side of building, Governors Hall 2nd floor entrance from University Heights on east side of building.
“Secondary doors” is in reference to the following five doors: Founders Hall front entrance on 1st floor, Mills Hall back entrance from volleyball court area, Governors Hall 2nd floor entrance at each end of the breezeway, West Ridge 2nd floor entrance near parking deck.
Maintenance, Housekeeping, and Furniture Set Up Requests
For maintenance requests, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All residence halls are non-smoking facilities. Students must also comply with UNC Asheville’s smoking policy.