- Serves: First Year
- Location: Founders Hall 3rd Floor
- Joint Class: none
- Requirements: Must participate in monthly hall events and attend 75% of the Wander to Ponder events
For questions about this LLC, please contact Dylan Lawing, Area Director of Founders Hall and The Woods, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gen 1 Living-Learning Community is a residential community designed for new first-generation college students, being students whose parents have not received a 4-year degree, and traditional first year students who feel that they may benefit from intentional college preparedness programming. Gen 1 aims to ease the transition into college by providing a structured living community and resources to promote a student’s success at UNC Asheville. The community fosters social interaction and peer connection through shared experiences. Support comes in the form of study sessions and tutoring in the residence hall as well as educational workshops facilitated by faculty and staff members, and prioritized placement for campus employment (if desired).
What Will I Get Out of Living in this Community?
- Workshops facilitated by faculty and staff on a variety of topics (study abroad, internship opportunities, financial aid etc.).
- Organized study sessions focused on common first year classes and located in the students residence hall.
- Common exam review sessions located in the residence hall.
- Dinner with faculty members.
- Frequent monitoring of student academic performance.
- Participation in service learning activities.
- Social outings to assist students in exploring campus opportunities.
- Additional evening and overnight quiet hours to maximize study time.
- Live-in peer mentors to provide support after hours.