2018-2019 Room Selection for Current Students
We are pleased that you wish to return to on-campus living for the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 academic year. Current residential students who wish to remain on campus must reapply during the reapplication process. Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis and are subject to space availability.
The reapplication process for current residential students will begin on February 26th, 2018. The reapplication process indicates your interest to live on campus for the upcoming academic year. Only students who choose to retain their current room at the time of reapplication are entering into a binding housing contract at that time. Later in the process, you will self-select your space and be bound by the terms and conditions of the contract.
DO NOT participate in self-selection if you are trying to obtain off-campus housing. Once you have self-selected your room, you are assigned to that space and another student is denied the opportunity to live on campus. Self-selection is an instantaneous selection of your room for the upcoming academic year. Once you have selected your room, you have entered into the housing contract. Any cancellation requests, outside of the approved reasons, will result in a $750 breach of contract fee and you may be responsible for the room charges for the remainder of the contract, which include both fall and spring semesters.
Before you begin the online reapplication process, please take a few moments to review the below information, so that you know and understand the deadlines, breach of contract, and know how and when to participate in the process.
Know your timeline
Monday, February 26th beginning at 8 am
- Submit your housing application: All current residential students interested in living on campus for the 2018-19 academic year must submit an application. The application will be available online beginning at 8 am on Monday, February 26th. To access the application, please log into your OnePort account and click on "Housing Portal." Select the "Continuing Student" tab and choose "Housing Application."
Monday, February 26th at 8 am
- Same Room Selection: Current residents who wish to keep the same room that they are currently assigned to will select their current room at the same time they submit their application. If you choose to retain your same space, and are displaced due to a conflict with your selection, you will be notified and offered a special time to select another room. Roommates cannot be selected at this time. Learn more about how to choose roommate/suite mate(s).
Tuesday, March 20th beginning at 8 am
- Rising Juniors and Seniors: If you are a rising Junior or Senior, you have priority room selection status. Students will receive an email to their UNCA email address notifying them of their selection time. Roommates of any class level can be selected, even new freshmen and transfer students. To choose your own roommates/suite mates, the student must be an accepted student and have already applied for housing for 2018-19. Learn more about how to choose roommate/suite mate(s).
- Check your Email for Designated Selection Time: All residents with a completed application will receive an email with your designated selection time. You will be able to select your room beginning at the time indicated in your selection email. Your selection time is based on the order your application was received and class designation.
Wednesday, March 21st - Friday, March 23rd, 8 am - 11:59 pm
- Open Room Selection: Any current student who has not yet participated in room selection can select a room from available spaces during this phase of room selection. If you have chosen a room during an earlier phase, you may now opt to select the space for any roommates/suite mates or change your room. To select roommates/suite mates, the student must have an accepted application. Learn more about how to choose roommate/suite mate(s).
- Check your Email for Designated Selection Time: All residents with an accepted application will receive an email with your designated selection time. You will be able to select your room during your selection time until the close of room selection.
- When selecting your room, you MUST click finish after selecting your room. If you do not receive an assignment confirmation email after you have selected and clicked finish, you have not successfully chosen a room and are not assigned housing.
- Once you have selected your room, you will receive an email with your assignment information. To request to cancel your application and assignment, please log into the Housing Portal and select the "cancellation form" from the "forms and agreements" section. Cancellation requests submitted for unapproved reasons are subject to the $750 breach of contract fee, and you will be held to the terms and conditions as outlined in the housing contract.
- You will also select your meal plan after you have chosen your room. Students who live in The Woods, the new apartment-style residence halls, are not required to purchase a meal plan, but they have the option of purchasing one if they so choose. Read about meal plan options on the Dining Services website.
- You can change your room until 11:59 pm on July 8th. After July 8th, all room changes will be frozen until the next room change request period in August.
- If you have submitted an application and have not participated in self-selection of a room, you can withdraw your application with no penalty to you. To request to cancel your housing application, please log into OnePort, select “Housing Portal” and then the cancellation form from the “Forms & Agreements" section.
- Students who do not submit an application during the reapplication period can still apply for housing; however, at this point, you no longer have priority status.
The Housing Portal has a feature that mimics the "friend request" feature of social media for Roommate Groups. When you create a Roommate Group on your application or in your Housing Portal profile, you are able to search for your friends and send them group invitations. If they accept, then they show in the Roommate Group as a member. If they reject, they do not show up in the Roommate Group.
You can assign roommates/suite mates via the Roommate Group to any remaining vacancies in your room or suite during your selection time. In order to assign roommates/suite mates, the students must have an accepted application on file and must have accepted the invitation to be part of your Roommate Group. You are allowed to have as many roommates/suite mates as there are vacancies in your room or suite. Keep in mind that spaces may have been filled by other students who participated in any phase of the room selection process, so roommate selection is available on a first-come, first-served basis. You will only see suites that have the same number of available spaces as the students you wish to assign. If you are unable to see suites with the number of spaces you are searching for, that means there are no spaces to accommodate your number of roommates/suite mates. If this is the case, do not randomly place students into other spaces. Notify them, so they are allowed to select rooms for themselves.
Follow these simple steps to choose your preferred roommate/suite mate.
1. Verify Your Roommates/Suite Mates Have Applied
Your preferred roommates/suite mates must have completed their housing application before you can pull them into any vacancies in your room or suite.
2. Collect Your Roommate/Suite Mates Information
To successfully choose a roommate/suite mate, you can use any of the provided fields (University ID, First Name, Last Name, or Campus Email) in the room selection portal in the Roommate Group section. You must invite them to be part of your Roommate Group, and they will receive an email prompting them to accept the invitation. You can only choose a room for students who have accepted your roommate group invitation - they will be identified as a "Member" of your group.
3. Select for Your Roommate/Suite Mate
Beginning at 8 am on Wednesday, March 21st and ending at 11:59 pm on Friday, March 23rd, any student who has participated in any phase of the Room Selection process, can add roommates/suite mates into vacancies in their room or suite. Simply login to your OnePort account and select, “Housing Portal.” From there, select “Choose my Roommate(s)” under the Continuing Student tab. Follow the on-screen prompts to add your roommate/suite mates to your room or suite.
Room and Board Fees for 2018-2019
- Standard Double Room: $2,644 per semester
- Overlook Hall Double Room: $2,719 per semester
- The Woods, the new apartment-style residence halls double room: $3,578 per semester
- Single Room - Governors Hall and Governors Village: $3,364 per semester
- Single Room - Overlook Hall: $3,464 per semester
- Single Room - The Woods, the new apartment-style residence halls: $4,028 per semester
- Year-round housing - The Woods, the new apartment-style residence halls double room: $4,571 per semester
- Year-round housing - The Woods, the new apartment-style residence halls single room: $5,146 per semester
Meal Plan*: $2,046 per semester
Residents of The Woods will not be required to have a meal plan
- Residents of The Woods will not be required to have a meal plan
Still have questions?
If you have questions about the application or room selection process, please contact us at 828-251-6700 or email@example.com