Welcome, future UNC Asheville residents! We are glad that you have chosen on-campus housing for Spring 2019.
Spring 2019 housing applications will be available beginning September 1, 2018.
Before you begin the online application process, please review the following information.
- All first-time freshmen are required to live on campus.
- To apply for housing, you must be a fully admitted student and have made your $300 enrollment deposit ($150 tuition deposit and $150 housing deposit). The enrollment deposit can take up to 2 business days to process through the University system and appear on your student account. It must post to your student account before you can apply for housing.
Housing Application Process
Details and Deadlines
● The priority deadline to submit your housing application is December 1st.
● By applying early, you will be able to select your room earlier.
● Room selection will begin December 10th. The deadline to select a room is 11:59 pm December 14th. Students who do not self-select will be manually assigned to a space by the Housing Office after this date.
- In order to participate in room selection, all students must have a completed housing application on file. Applications completed by 11:59 pm on Thursday, December 9th, will receive an email from our office with your room/meal plan selection time.
- Applications received after December 14th will be manually assigned to a space by our office by 5 pm on Monday, December 17th. Applications received after 3 pm on Monday, December 17th, will be assigned to a space by our office when the University re-opens in early January.
- If you are requesting a specific roommate, make sure you have their University email address. This is what you will use to search for them. As you are completing your application, you will be asked to create a roommate group. You do not have to create a roommate group to continue with your housing application.
- LLCs are not open for spring semester.
Apply for Housing
- Log in to your OnePort account and select “Housing Portal” on the left side of the page. Select the application that is appropriate for you. For example: First time freshmen will select “Freshmen.”
- Follow the instructions on each page and use the navigation button at the bottom of each page to progress to the next. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an email to your UNC Asheville email address.
- You may make changes to your housing application until 11:59 pm on Sunday, December 9th. After that, no further updates can be made to your application.
What Happens Next?
- All students with a completed application by 11:59 pm on Thursday, December 6th will receive an email with your designated selection time.
- Your selection time is your first and best opportunity to assign yourself to a room.
- Selections are limited for spring, so there will not be a variety of available spaces.
Room Selection Process
Selecting a Room and Choosing a Roommate
Room Selection for Spring 2019 will begin in early December. Students will receive an email about selection times before selection begins.
Your designated selection time is your first and best opportunity to obtain the space you are hoping for.
● Once you have selected a room, you will receive an email with your housing assignment and the name of your roommate, if one has already selected the room. You can view your assignment and roommate information at any time by logging into OnePort, selecting “Housing Portal”, “Profile Information”, and “View My Roommate(s).”
● Students who submit a housing application and do not participate in selection of a room will be manually assigned to a space after December 14th by the Housing Office. You will be notified of your assignment via email to your UNC Asheville email address. Once an assignment has been made, all charges associated with breach of contract will be enforced. Learn more about breach of contract.
● Once you have selected your room, or the Housing Office selects a room for you, you are bound to the terms and conditions of the Housing Contract. Any cancellation of your contract for an unapproved reason will result in breach of contract and other charges. Learn more about cancellation of your housing assignment.
Selecting a Roommate/Suite Mate
When you apply for housing, you can set up a Roommate Group. If you are the leader of your group, you can send invitations to your intended roommates. You will be able to select the room assignments for yourself and your entire Roommate Group, so long as the invitation has been accepted by your friends. You are allowed to pull in as many roommates/suite mates as there are vacancies in your room or suite. Keep in mind that spaces may have been filled by students who are also participating in the room selection process, so roommate pull-in is available on a first-come, first-served basis. You will only see spaces that will accommodate the number of students you have indicated on your housing application. For example: You wish to live with 3 other students in a Mills Hall suite. You will only see suites that have 4 current available spaces. If you do not see 4 spaces within the same suite, there are no available suites that will accommodate all 4 of you. If this occurs, please do not randomly assign the other students, unless this has been previously agreed upon. Those students can search for and assign themselves to their own room. Follow these simple steps to pull in your preferred roommate/suite mate.
1. Verify Your Roommates/Suite Mates Have Applied
Your preferred roommates/suite mates must complete their housing application at the time you are able to select your room. Spaces cannot be held for future applicants.
2. Collect Your Roommate/Suite Mates Information
To successfully pull in a roommate/suite mate, you can search for them by either their full name or their UNC Asheville email address. They will receive an email notification that they have been invited to your Roommate Group which they can choose to accept or decline. If they accept, then you can choose the assignments for everyone in the group.
3. Pull in Your Roommate/Suite Mate
One student may make the room selection for their roommate/suite mates, provided everyone in the group has accepted the invitation. Only the leader of the Roommate Group can select for the group. Once the selection has been made, each student involved in the process will receive an email notifying them of their housing assignment.
This is for a new student group. You will not be able to pull in roommates/suite mates if the student is already assigned to a space on campus. If you are trying to live with a current student, please verify with that student that they have a current vacancy in their room/suite. You can then search by available spaces in the room/suite. Please keep in mind that other students are going through the room selection process, and can assign themselves to any available space on campus, that is open to them during selection.
If you want to leave your Roommate Group and start a new one, or you would like to be the one to choose the room assignments, you can simply click the red "Leave" button on your housing application and then create a new Roommate Group.
Room Change Requests
- You will have the opportunity to request a room change during the official Room Change Period after the start of spring semester. Information regarding the room change request process will be emailed to residential students in January.
Meal Plan Selection Process
Meal Plan Selection
- During the room selection process, you will also be required to select a meal plan. All residential students, with the exception of those living in The Woods, are required to have a meal plan.
- If you do not participate in self-selection, the Housing office will default you to the 21 meal plan. You will have the opportunity to change your meal plan until midnight on the 3rd day of classes. More information will be sent to you regarding meal plan changes.
- Please visit the Dining Services website or contact them directly for more information regarding meal plan options.